Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Wild Turkey and Not the Drinking Kind


This past Saturday, December 4th I woke up at daybreak and let the chickens out of the coop. There was still plenty of snow left from the December 1st storm. It has been snowing portions of every day during the week. My plan for the day was to do some holiday decorating and then trot off to the Boise State vs Utah State final game of the season, and bid farewell to the 18 graduating seniors on the Bronco football squad. I went to make my usual morning latte and walked in to the dining room to see how the chickens were doing. Much to my surprise a wild turkey had taken up residence in my back yard. Now, I knew we had wild turkeys around in the foothills and a neighbor had told me he's seen at least two in the creek area near our houses. I guess she wanted to hang out where "birds of a feather flock together", what and all being by herself. She had lovely tail feathers. I couldn't let the dog out because He would have chased her, so I just left her alone. I did go visit and chat with her and told her she was welcome to stay as long as she wanted and I invited her to roost in our pine trees for the night. I got home from the football game (we won 50-14 I recall) and she was still here at 5:30 p.m. at dusk. But by the next morning she was gone, probably to visit another neighbor. Hopefully she and one of her friends will come visit again. She picked the right month to come out of hiding, right after Thanksgiving. Smart girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment