Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Spudboater Meets Johnny Montezuma



Back in 1979 I worked on the Rogue River for the BLM as a River Ranger with a real cast of characters. Chief among them was Fred, my boss. It seems Fred had previously worked in Grand Canyon for the National Park Service before getting a "real job" as a permanent river dirt bag for the BLM in Grants Pass, Oregon. Meeting Fred and working for him led to me meeting a group of fellow kindred souls, many of whom to this day remain friends. Amongst this crowd of miscreants with qualities ranging from dubious, doubtful, double trouble, dumb and dumber, DINKS, donuts, doozies, dangerous, and downright silly is Johnny Montezuma, Dr Yoda, and Bryan T Brown. This photo is a blast from past sent to me by BTB several months ago. There is J Montezuma in his Hawaiian shirt and yours truly in the worst looking pair of shorts on the face of the planet, my white visor cap on and an equally offensively ugly bikini top. We had landed at Lake Mead/Mud and it was a Sunday as I recall. One of the trip brethren conducted services on the beach as we ate ice cream bars and drank cold beers we purchased there at the marina. Those were the days when a private river trip could be had for a mere $100 per person for 3 weeks, all the food, shuttle and about 20 cases of beer for the trip. Johnny and I were the trip dirtbag kayak scum by and large, though I rotated rowing duties with my husband Scott. At least until everyone got over us flipping at House. I pretty much stuck to the kayak, knowing I was responsible for no one but myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment