Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Mom's 89th Birthday




My family has long lived women, typically. My grandmother lived to be 86 despite heart problems. Two of my great aunts (grandma's sisters) lived to be 99 or 100 and the other one was 100 or 101 or thereabouts. My great grandmother was alive at 101 when I was 6 years old. My middle name is after her (Lurell).
Most years since my parents can no longer fly to Idaho from Illinois I go back for my mom's birthday. Been doing that since she turned 85. My brother flies in from Tallahassee, Florida and the two of us carry on like a couple of giggly teens telling bad jokes, drinking wine and swapping great stories that only the two of us think are funny.
This year was the typical brother-sister confab and we stayed at our parents Assisted Living Retirement Complex where they now reside. The guest rooms were as nice as any hotel, and it was pretty quiet except for TV's being turned up very loud, in light of all the hard of hearing elderly clientele. Still, we got on quite well. We invited a life long friend of the family to join us who is in between our age and our parents. I used to babysit for Bob and his first wife, my moms best friend. Nancy died a few years ago and Bob just remarried this year so it was my first time to meet his wife, Mary. Great woman and I'm so happy to see folks find love at 70, just like my mom and step dad did at 69, when she married my step dad Jack. So I'm glad I got to celebrate another birthday with my mom who was 89 on October 26th.

No comments:

Post a Comment