Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Building a Saw Horse the Harbor Freight Way

Okay, I thought I was getting a screaming deal by buying a pair of saw horses at Harbor Freight that I used my 20% off coupon for. Well, the adventure took place to day when I pulled them out of the box and spread out the directions and all those screws, bolts, washers etc on the garage floor. It seems in typical Harbor Freight fashion that the Chinese manufacturer didn't include the proper pieces to actually attach the the stability bars with. The concept was a good one, except for the fact that I couldn't do it the way they intended. Someone got the bright idea to model it after a kids easel with a triangular plastic nut that is supposed to have a larger recessed plastic piece. But no go. Anyways, after putting one of these saw horses together I also came up short on bolts with good threads and couldn't finish making it totally sturdy. And alas, I had none of this particular length and width in any of those jars of extra "stuff" most of us keep around just in case we find a use for it after 5 or 10 years. The saw horses are finished, but I still need 4 more bolts and nuts to add the cross pieces that make them totally stable. Tomorrow. I was too irritated to drive to get 4 bolts and nuts. I'll do it on the way home from work.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip! I'll think twice when the deal involves assembly.

    ReplyDelete