Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Verde River Canoe Challenge-The Kayak Version






Some of you may be aware that I decided to enter the Verde River Canoe Challenge at the urging of my friend Johnny Montezuma, seen here in front of his Nissan pickup with the outstanding 4 meter vessel we borrowed. This is a canoe and kayak race organized each March with a new maximum of 200 participants. More on that at Mr. Montezuma's blog. Just click.
Suffice to say that this turn of events was haphazard karma that involved perceived registration, no registration, obtaining a kayak for me to paddle, getting accepted into the race late after much whining and phone calling to the organizers, having a spray skirt that would better be used as a coffee filter it let in so much water into my boat, and deciding I should run in the competitive class because folks would be pissed off if I'd beaten them by 30 minutes or more, which I did.
For this old gal in her borrowed 1980 Phoenix Cascade fiberglass, mint condition boat, courtesy of our friend Gary (seen above with me celebrating the win), this race chickie would not have been able to revel or share in the glory of being the 2nd oldest gal in the race, and placing second in the competitive kayak class. So to all my helpers and support crew who made it possible, I am grateful and glad that the 1 hour 42 minutes paddle of 10 miles is over with for this year. But it sure was and will be a good story to tell. And here's to Gary for keeping that boat hanging in his garage/shed for all these years out of the harmful rays of the sun. What a sweet little boat, though it really was tough on my butt!

1 comment: